Monday, October 26, 2020
Home Health Chinese medics can’t attend to our patients – Nigerian doctors

Chinese medics can’t attend to our patients – Nigerian doctors

Following the arrival of the 15-member Chinese medical team, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) and the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria (NARD) have declared they will not allow the Chinese attend or touch any patient.

They describe any attempt by the Chinese medical team to manage any patient as unethical and illegal.

Asides the donation of equipment by Chinese worth about $1.5m, including test kits, ventilators, disinfection machine, disposable medical masks, N95 masks, medicines, rubber gloves, protective gowns, goggles, face shields, infra-red thermometers and other critical care items, the 15-man medical team have specialties in infectious disease, respiratory illness, intensive care, cardiology, neurology, general surgery and anesthesiology.

President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr. Francis Faduyile, told newsmen: “Our stand has not changed and we still insist that there is nothing that they (Chinese) want to offer that can improve what we have on ground.

“There are so many things that we need to put into consideration because it is a war affecting ordinary Nigerians, and sometimes you look at the risk and benefits.

“Our members will look at what is on ground; if we are doing what we are doing and they (Chinese) do not interfere with us, we will continue doing what we are doing for Nigerians.

“We cannot now precipitously make a decision. We are an Association that is bounded by ethics, and rules. In a very short while, you will hear our decision”

In the same vein, President of the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria (NARD), Dr. Sokomba Aliyu, said: “The representatives of the government had stated some days back that the Chinese experts are coming to donate some personal protective equipment – ventilators etc. for us. We do not have anything against people coming to make donations. They also stated that they are coming to install those ventilators they brought with them, which again we do not have problems with.

“But we have categorically stated that the Chinese can’t attend to any Nigerian for whatever reason because this is unethical and illegal. The Chinese do not have the license to practice in Nigeria. And we do not need their hands as we are not overwhelmed and can take care of our patients.

“So far, they have also stated that they are not coming to attend to patients, so we cannot say categorically if their words are anything to go by. While they have gone ahead to welcome the Chinese, we are hopeful that the Chinese will have nothing to do with our patients because if they proceed to involve the Chinese in the management of our patients, we will just leave the patients for the Chinese to continue managing.

“As it is now, we are going to be watchful and wait for them to see how far they are engaging the Chinese, and to what extent they are going to be managing our patients.

“If they proceed to get them to do whatever it is with our patients, then, we will just let them have the patients and whatever comes out of it will be squarely traceable to the Chinese involvement in the management of our patients”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

FOLLOW US:

6,985FansLike
1,458FollowersFollow
553SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

Insecurity: Buratai meets top commanders

The Chief Of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, is presently holding a meeting with Principal Staff Officers and top army commanders...

English in Twos: Episode 21

By Bashir Jammaje Education is the most powerful weapon, Nelson Mandela says, which we can use to change the...

EndSars: NECO postpones examination indefinitely

The Governing Board of the National Examinations Council (NECO) has indefinitely postponed the on-going 2020 Senior School Certificate Examination.

#EndSARS: FG sets up N25bn youth fund — Minister

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, on Saturday, said the Federal government has created a N25bn youth fund...