Monday, October 26, 2020
Home News TUC appeals to Nigerians not to lose faith in labour movement

TUC appeals to Nigerians not to lose faith in labour movement

The Lagos State Council, Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), has urged people not to despair or lose faith in the labour movement over suspension of the much publicised nationwide industrial action.

The state Chairman, Mr Gbenga Ekundayo, made the appeal in an interview with newsmen on Monday in Lagos.

“Quite expectedly, Lagosians would feel disappointed; however, they should not despair or lose faith in our labour.

“When labour leaders go into a negotiation, it is for a purpose, and when that purpose is not served, we press home the demands of our own by withdrawing services of our members.

“Our national leaders went into further negotiations last night, which lasted till early hours of today. An understanding has been reached and the strike was called off,” he said.

Ekundayo also called on people of Lagos and Nigerians in general to monitor closely how the talks evolved in the next two weeks.

The chairman said it would enable the union and Nigerians generally to see where we eventually stand.

Earlier, at the Labour House in Yaba area of Lagos, some Civil Society Organisations (CSO), who did not get information about the suspended strike earlier had gathered for the protest.

Speaking, Mr Toyin Raheem, Chairman, Coalition Against Corruption and Bad Governance, had expressed bitterness over suspension of the strike.

Raheem accused the labour leaders of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians as a whole.

“For instance, for me, I had sleepless nights trying to organise some of our members; now, when you talk about mobilisation, it involves resources, energy.

“I was already on my way to the venue when I heard that the strike had been suspended; I was seriously disturbed.

“The labour leaders knew people were being mobilised for the past one week; what I expected labour to have done was to hold the protest for today,” he said.

Newsmen report that NLC and TUC suspended the strike scheduled to commence Sept. 28.

This followed an agreement reached by the labour leaders with the Federal Government at a meeting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

FOLLOW US:

6,985FansLike
1,458FollowersFollow
553SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

#EndSARS: FG sets up N25bn youth fund — Minister

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, on Saturday, said the Federal government has created a N25bn youth fund...

Kaduna Security: 24-hour curfew extended to the entire state

The Kaduna State Government has extended all over the state the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed in some communities in Chikun and Kaduna...

President Buhari orders deploys more troops to Zamfara

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered security agencies for immediate deployment of their officials to Zamfara State following the gory episode that claimed...

#EndSARS: Buhari to address Nigerians on Lekki toll gate shooting on Tuesday – FG

The Federal Government, on Saturday, assured that President Muhammadu Buhari would address Nigerians over the shooting in Lekki toll gate area of...