Monday, October 19, 2020
Home Uncategorized NSCDC announces arrest of Boko Haram bomb materials supplier

NSCDC announces arrest of Boko Haram bomb materials supplier

Operatives of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Borno on Wednesday announced the arrest of one Aliyu Muhammed, a 24-year-old suspected Boko Haram Improvised Explosive Device (IED) materials supplier in Maiduguri.

The Commandant of the corps, Ibrahim Abdullahi, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Maiduguri.

Mr Abdullahi said that the suspect was nabbed by men of the command on April 25, following intelligence report while he was on his way to supply bomb materials for Boko Haram terrorists.

He said that preliminary investigation conducted by the command revealed that the suspect supplied mobile phones battery, wrist watches as well as laptop computers used for setting off IEDs designed to inflict massive casualties.

“The suspect who pretends to be a tricycle operator in the town has executed many missions for the insurgents.

“He also operates several bank accounts, where he receives funds for Boko Haram in the last six months.

“He usually receives large sums of money from the Republic of Chad, through a third party account number to avoid being detected.

“We have so far tracked dozens of his transactions especially at commercial money transfer centres within Maiduguri,” he said.

The NSCDC commandant said Mr Mohammed and his colleagues have played different roles in masterminding various attacks, in worship centres, market places in Maiduguri and environs.

Mr Abdullahi reiterated the commitment of the command toward complimenting efforts of the army, police and other sister agencies in the counter-terrorism campaign in the Northeast.

“The command had within the past two years arrest more than 25 Boko Haram insurgents, comprising of female suicide bombers, commanders and collaborators in Maiduguri.

“The command had, through the dispute resolution department encouraged more than 40 terrorists to lay down their arms and accepted meaningful rehabilitation and reintegration through the Operation Safe Corridor window opportunity provided by the government,” he said.

He added that the suspect would be handed over to the 7 Division Garrison of the army for further interrogation and profiling.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

FOLLOW US:

6,985FansLike
1,458FollowersFollow
553SubscribersSubscribe

Most Popular

English in Twos: Episode 20

Education is the most powerful weapon, Nelson Mandela says, which we can use to change the world.  This article...

#EndSARS protesters launch online radio station ‘Soro Soke’ and helpline

EndSARS protesters have established a helpline centre and an online radio platform named ‘soro soke’. According to the protesters,...

NECO postpones exam over #EndSARS protests

The National Examination Council postponed Paper I Computer Studies Practical’s scheduled for Monday, October 19, 2020, until November 16

NYIF: You can now register for FG’s N75bn youth investment fund

The federal government says it has opened the portal for Nigerians to apply for its N75 billion youth investment fund.